Ideal for those interested in a more natural look, granite countertops are quarried naturally from the earth as enormous chunks of stone. From there, they are cut and polished into the familiar countertop shape. Available in a wide variety of colors, including earthy browns, blacks, and creams, granite countertops are the ultimate in high-end luxury. In addition to being beautiful and luxurious, granite is one of the sturdiest natural materials you can use for your home, making it an ideal choice for the kitchen.
If you’re considering installing granite countertops in your home, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Appearance- When purchasing granite countertops, it’s important to remember that the in-store samples will differ slightly from the stone you receive. Keep in mind that these are naturally occurring slabs, so the samples won’t be a true reflection of the stone you’re ordering. Many prefer granite because the appearance isn’t uniform, but for others it can be a drawback.
- Maintenance- In most cases, granite countertops require more maintenance than other available options. They’ll need to be sealed before they’re used, and this process will need to be repeated once a year for as long as you own the countertop. Granite is a porous stone and can be stain-resistant if it’s treated and sealed properly.
- Durability- While granite countertops are extremely durable, they shouldn’t be treated as though they’re indestructible. It’s a natural rock and can break or chip if it’s subjected to heavy abuse. For regular day-to-day activities, granite is a great option. With proper care and maintenance, a granite countertop can last for a lifetime.
Get a FREE in-home estimate from LA Carpet
- Shop from the comfort of your home with a design consultant
- Enjoy the same great prices and financing options you’d receive in-store
- Get an estimate based on your actual house measurement
- No obligation to buy
When purchasing granite countertops, keep in mind that the stones are extremely heavy and will require a professional installation. While many homeowners attempt to save money by hiring a neighborhood handyman to install their granite countertop, this is one instance where hiring a professional is highly recommended. For more information about LA Carpet’s assortment of granite countertops, visit a local showroom, shop online, or call 866-912-7093 for more information.